What did I use:
- Semiya / Indian Vermicelli ~ 1 1/2 cups ( broken into small pieces )
- Onions ~ 1 No (Big sized )
- Green chillies ~ 3-4 Nos
- Chopped ginger ~ 1 tsp
- Cashew Nuts ~ 10 Nos
- Raisins ~ 10 Nos
- Turmeric powder ~ 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chillies ~ 2 Nos
- Urad Dal / Uzhunnu ~ 1 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds
How did I cook:
- First heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and roast the vermicelli / semiya in a low flame till the vermicelli becomes golden brown in color. Do stir continuously otherwise it may get burnt. Roasting will prevent vermicelli from sticking to each other.
- Then cook semiya by adding enough water along with enough salt in a medium flame for about 8 minutes or till the vermicelli becomes soft. Then drain it in a colander.
- Meanwhile heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add dry red chillies, urad daal, cashew nuts and raisins, and fry for 1-2 minutes. Then add finely chopped onions, chopped green chillies, chopped ginger and turmeric powder and saute till onions becomes transparent.(Note: At this point, if you want then you can even add some grated carrot and finely chopped beans and fry for 5-10 minutes )
- Then finally add cooked vermicelli and mix it nicely. Remove from the flame after 2 minutes.